Larry McIntosh
larry@peakmarket.com
Peak of the Market
1200 King Edward St
Winnipeg, MB
R3H 0R5
Dear Larry
I was recently appalled to learn that Peak of the Market is the controlling marketing board for potatoes in Manitoba. Until this point in time your friendly TV commercials, marketing campaigns and branding strategy led me to believe that you were an opt-in growers marketing co-operative. I feel deceived by your company.
I am now aware that Peak of the Market is a government legislated body which legally controls all potato marketing in the province. I am also now aware that this body makes it essentially illegal for any small farmers in Manitoba to market ANY of their own potato crops independently of Peak of the Market.
I make the conscious choice to shop at farmers markets, small independent grocers, and road side stands. Personal consumer choice in the marketplace is important to me. I feel that Peak of the Market is both denying me that choice, and denying small Manitoba farmers the right to support their families by supplying an alternate choice in the market place to Peak.
I want to express my intense concern in this matter. It must become legal for small Manitoba potato farmers to continue to supply these locations with their product without any interference from Peak of the Market.
As a resident of Manitoba, a local food aficionado, and a small business supporter, I demand that Manitoba farmers be given the right to market immature potatoes as they see fit, with NO interference from Peak of the Market. I want this right to be clearly written in a legal document with no chance of mis-interpretation. I want this document to be in place in time for Manitoba farmers to purchase their seed for spring 2010, so they can plan their crops.
I look forward to a personal response from your office.
Kind Regards
Sunday, September 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Why just immature potatoes? It should be all produce, and all crops. Farmers should not be compelled to join any association they don't want to join, even if 99% of other farmers want to join it.
ReplyDelete