Sunday, September 20, 2009

For your MLA

Dear

I was recently appalled to learn that Peak of the Market is the controlling marketing board for potatoes in Manitoba. Until this point in time POTM’s friendly TV commercials and marketing campaigns led me to believe that they were an opt-in growers marketing co-operative. I feel deceived.

I am now aware that Peak of the Market is a government legislated body which legally controls all potato marketing in the province. I am also now aware that this body makes it essentially illegal for any small farmers in Manitoba to market ANY of their own potato crops independently of Peak of the Market.

I make the conscious choice to shop at farmers markets, small independent grocers, and road side stands. I want to express my intense concern in this matter. It must become legal for small Manitoba potato farmers to continue to supply these locations with their product without any interference from Peak of the Market.

As a resident of Manitoba, a local food aficionado, and a small business supporter, I demand that Manitoba farmers be given the right to market immature potatoes as they see fit, with NO interference from Peak of the Market. I also request that the Province of Manitoba oversees Peak of the Market in the writing of this legislation as this organization clearly can not be trusted to have small Manitoba farmers’ best interests at heart.






I look forward to a personal response from your office.

Kind Regards

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.