Gosh, what a weird way to head a blog post. But it's all true.
It has been too long. Too long since I've sent out an email saying hello to you my wonderful customers, and too long since the shop has been open. It's time to get things rolling again!
Our opening day for the 2010 season will be Wednesday May 5th. And since we're going to have so much to talk about, you all need to come over for a cup of coffee. We will be sampling our direct fair trade coffee on Wednesday (opening day) morning, as well as all day Saturday. Hopefully the weather will hold and we'll all be able to spill out onto the deck with our cups of coffee and treats in hand, catching up.
I love spring. I love the changes, I love starting up the shop again and I love getting in touch with everyone again.
Unfortunately, a large part of what we may talking about on the deck will be the newly arisen Peak of the Market potato controversy. This spring, Peak of the Market enacted new regulations that came into effect on March 31/2010. Poor timing for farmers who are seeding. Please read the new regulations for yourself at www.peakmarket.com/smallfarmer
In a nutshell this is now how things have to work.
Potato growers who are not part of peak of the market must apply for a permit to grow up to 5 acres of potatoes.
I, as a small seasonal vendor must apply for a permit to sell these potatoes. My permit is linked to a farmers permit so that Peak can see who I am buying from, and who the farmer is selling to.
A farmer who owns a road side stand must have it approved and permitted by peak as a location to sell his or her 5 acres of potatoes
Farmers Markets will need permits.
Restaurants cannot get permits. Ie. If restaurants want to buy Manitoba potatoes, they must come from peak of the market.
Year round stores like Vic's, Delucas, la Grotta, Stephen and Andrew's and Organza cannot apply for permits. This means that if they want to sell Manitoba potatoes, they may only buy from Peak.
Farmers are only allowed to sell their 5 acres of potatoes until November 1st after which they may harvest them for personal consumption, or give them to a food bank.
Needless to say, farmers, grocers, restauranteurs and local foodies do not like this in the least. No more organic Manitoba blue potatoes for Organza, no more buying bagged potatoes in November from someone down Henderson hwy, and no more baby Manitoba potatoes on restaurant menus.
We have formed a coalition. The Manitoba Potato Coalition. Check out our site at www.manitobapotatoes.com for oodles of information. We will be meeting with Peak of the Market on April 16th. We hope that Peak will see the small concessions that we are asking for as reasonable. We are also planning a fundraising/ awareness dinner at the U of W. Chef Ben Kramer and guest chefs will be preparing a made in Manitoba feast to support local potato farmers and get the word out about how these regulations affect growers, retailers, consumers, and restaurants.
I will be sure to keep you all posted!
I can't wait to see everyone and hear about your winters.
Take Care
Erin
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Are you kidding - about the potatoes! How ridiculous. Almost a bit of a communistic approach - sole leadership. Peak of the Market if an excellent venture, don't kid me. But what makes THEM king of the heap? How did this come to be? How come I didn't see this coming? I'm disappointed. I guess, for sure, I will be seeding up my two little railway-tie sized squares of garden in the back yard with potatos. Or is there something in the Peak's rules and regulations that says I can't do this!!! Or maybe I can only plant seed potatoes that come form Peak. Okay, I digress. Glad to see you'll be opening again soon.
ReplyDelete